Injury updates from the past week.
- Carlos Silva has been shut down indefinitely due to inflammation in his throwing shoulder. Not that he had much of a chance to begin with, but Silva is now out of the running for the final spot in the Red Sox starting rotation and seems all but certain to debut this season in the minor leagues. The 32-year-old righty didn’t make a single major league appearance last year.
- Nick Punto will miss the Red Sox’ next two Grapefruit League games due to mild soreness in his back. They’re both road contests, and the Red Sox don’t want put Punto through two long bus trips. “Five hours on a bus isn’t necessarily exactly the program we want him on,” manager Bobby Valentine told reporters Tuesday.
- Carl Crawford (wrist) has been shut down for the next 5-7 days and is likely to miss Opening Day. Crawford was found to have inflammation in his surgically-repaired left wrist during an examination Monday by team doctors. It’s not a major setback, but the 30-year-old outfielder is unlikely to see enough Grapefruit League at-bats before the start of the regular season and could be placed on the 15-day disabled list when the Red Sox head north.
- Andrew Bailey (lat) said he had a “real good” bullpen session Saturday.The closer was originally scheduled for a bullpen session Sunday, but evidently it was moved up a day. The Red Sox expect Bailey to be ready to appear in a Grapefruit League game sometime this week.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Daisuke Matsuzaka (elbow) was “very impressive” during a bullpen session Sunday, “throwing hard and using his secondary pitches.” Most have pegged July as a likely return date for Dice-K, but he’s hoping to be back sometime in June. It’s encouraging that he’s looking good early on in camp, but he obviously still has a long road ahead.
*Updates gathered from http://www.rotoworld.com